Saturday, September 19, 2009

SHARP Netwalker PC-Z1

SHARP Netwalker PC-Z1 is 4MB flash with Motorola arm chip on GNU/Linux, USB, mini-USB, wifi, and micro-SD. IT weighs 409g and costs about JPY 40,000. (Freescale Semiconductor i.MX515)

Kohjinsha PM is 32 MB flash with intel x86 chip on Windows XP with funny-USB, wifi, bluetooth, and micro-SD. It weighs and 345g and costs about JPY 60,000. (Intel® Atom™ processor Z510 (1.10GHz))

On spec, Kohjinsha looks good but Sharp has easier to type keyboard and nice mouse device as I checked in store. OS wise, Sharp is better since I am going to run Debian later anyway and I do not need to worry about hardware support.

I am leaning toward Sharp... Besides, this will make me learn Ubuntu.

As I checked on store, Sharp PC-Z1 seems to use SCIM/Anthy but I did not see im-switch. SCIM seems to be patched by Ubuntu from Debian. APT source.list is only pointing to Ubuntu. This was incorrect.